An illustrated look at how Parkdale’s buildings developed in pockets by type. Why some of the oldest are the best. Next we will look at preservation options being considered.
The first map shows three areas of Parkdale in order of age.
Area 1 Parkdale. Mostly buildings built during Parkdale’s years 1879-1889 as a self governing village.
Area 2 Toronto (after annexation). Buildings from the Toronto era after 1889.
Area 3. All other buildings.
The older buildings are more precious. The Toronto era buildings are often stronger looking. Parkdale growth was stimulated by lake access and transit. The following pictures and maps illustrate this.
Circled in Green are areas built during Parkdale\'s independence, 1879 to1889. Circled in brown are later Toronto era buildings of outstanding value. The remaining buildings form part of the culture of Parkdale.
1813. Queen street is the path running across the centre of the painting. The lakeshore banks south of Parkdale at the bottom are actually about 20 feet high.
Queen Street top and Dufferin centre. Streams flow east across Dufferin to Garrison Creek. To the left, shading indicates high ground near the present the Dunn Ave which rises more north past Queen St.
Centre left the rails cross Dufferin and Queen in 1879 drawing. The first building south on Dufferin would be Union Hall, the site of Parkdale\'s first Council meeting. We see Brock Ave above.
Again, the 1879 drawing extending to about Bathurst.
By 1886 to the centre left, brick buildings are evident on Queen St.
Wooden Gothic and Second Empire buildings on Queen St looking north west from the rail bridge. The building just left of the third pole still stands, west of Noble.
This 1887 photo taken from the roof of the Bayview estate on Dowling, south of King, shows the mature trees on the right that were never fully cleared. Queen street north of this would have had little lake view. Top right, see the Ocean vi View Hotel. Right centre, King Street becomes a path at Wilson Park.
The Ocean view Hotel at King, Queen and Roncesvalles looking south east. This resort anchored the west end of Parkdale and later Roncesvalles. A bridge later connected this corner to the Sunnyside Amusement Park. Directly south of the hotel the Sunnyside Train Station was later built. Across the intersection, a Bus terminal was later added. This corner became the western portal to Toronto. There was no billboard over the hotel at that time.
By 1893 the areas south of Queen St, along Jameson, Close and Dunn have filled in early due to their proximity to 2 schools, 2 large churches and the Home For The Incurables. Dunn and Jameson both continued to the lake shore. East of Close 4 story buildings on Queen still had views of the lake. Notice the west end of Queen Street, in green,, is still undeveloped land.
1893: Parkdale lies between industry and institutions to the east and parkland to the west.
1893 Another view of the same painting. (The fold line near the top is not a road.)
1496 Queen St W, on the east side of Macdonell, between 1895 to 1912 was the Metropolitan School of Music, Greg Chown. Included, just to celebrate history.
1911. A Post Card of the School of Music. It is currently being restored in 2016.
An 1884 Goads map of Queen St in Parkdale. Very high resolution.