The Bloor Street Viaduct and The Parkdale Connection
Re-posted with permission from Greg Chown. See the original and comments.
When work on the Bloor Viaduct (renamed the Prince Edward Viaduct) began in 1915, the metal truss work was built here in Parkdale at the Dominion Bridge works on Sorauren Ave.
The original building t 289 Sorauren was sold to the TTC in 1947 to be used as a maintenance facility. It was later used as a studio for film and television productions before being demolished. Sorauren Park is there now.
Below, one of the massive steel spans being assembled at the plant. The houses on Sorauren can be seen in the Background.
Below, an interior shot when it belonged to the TTC.
Below, a shot of the factory looking north on Sorauren past Wabash.
A hand tinted postcard courtesy of J.D. Lowe
This entry was posted in Parkdale
and tagged bloor viaduct
. Bookmark the permalink