Nov 8, the City Council will be considering using Historic Architecture if replacing West End Rail Stations. This web site suggested: The History and Future of Transit On Humber Bay. Tell your Toronto Councillor if you want to keep the historic look of train stations in our villages. Pictures of our historic Train stations followed by the Notice of the City’s Motion.
City Council consideration on November 8, 2016
Notice of Motion MM22.7
Replacing the Lost Railway Stations of West Toronto – by Councillor Cesar Palacio, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.
Councillor Cesar Palacio, seconded by Councillor Mike Layton, recommends that:
1. City Council indicate its support for replacing the lost railway stations of West Toronto by requesting Metrolinx to work with the residents of these communities, in order to reach a design for these new stations which includes the architectural template of former railway depots in this area.
2. City Council request Metrolinx to involve individuals from the local community who have interest and experience related to railway history and heritage preservation in the community consultations and advisory panels during the Environmental Assesment process for these new stations.
In earlier times, Toronto’s West Toronto – Davenport – Parkdale area held at least nine railway stations. Suburban depots located in what were originally standalone communities, including Parkdale, West Toronto, and York, were a core part of the economic and transportation infrastructure. These communities began, and developed, due to the arrival of railways and the construction of major railway facilities in these areas.
None of these stations have survived as working or heritage structures. By 1980, the heritage value of these structures was recognized; however, owing to weaker laws and lack of funding, attempts to preserve these buildings were unsuccessful. Two stations – Canadian National St. Clair Avenue Depot, and Canadian National Parkdale Depot – were lost to fire shortly after having been set aside for restoration. The third station, the former Canadian Pacific West Toronto depot, was demolished by its owner just as the City was taking steps to relocate and preserve it. The loss of the West Toronto Depot was a particularly bitter blow to the community and spurred interest in more concentrated heritage efforts.
Metrolinx is currently planning new rail stations in some of these same locations – St. Clair/Keele, Bloor/Lansdowne, and Liberty Village/Parkdale – to support the planned new GO Regional Express Rail and SmartTrack services.
There is an opportunity to design and construct these new stations using the architectural template of former railway depots in this area. This will restore this lost element of past history into the community.
Use of traditional architecture will complement the prevailing flavour of dwellings and businesses in these areas, and prevent the mismatching of 2016 architecture into public space at these locations.
Since the new buildings will be working transit facilities, no new funding is required to achieve this. Once constructed, these heritage relevant structures will have longevity in these communities. Their future role is aligned to their original purpose. Proper security and ongoing maintenance is assured.
Member Motion MM22.7
Source: Toronto City Clerk at www.toronto.ca/council.
Old Time Trains Parkdale
Toronto Railway Historical Association
Research Railways, Mike Filey 2012-10-07
by email to me wrote.
“October 7, 1878:
The Northern Railway of Canada opens a new passenger station at Parkdale, facing Queen Street, east of Dufferin St. The Credit Valley Railway, then under construction, claimed that the new station was situated precisely to block the CVR’s access to downtown Toronto and Union Station. Following the Grand Trunk’s takeover of the NRC in 1888, the building was rotated 90 degrees and relocated on the north side of the track. Some time later, the station was renamed North Parkdale, to distinguish it from the GTR’s old Great Western Parkdale station which was located near Jameson Avenue and renamed South Parkdale. Following the Parkdale Grade Separation project, that building was replaced by Sunnyside station in 1912 and the Queen Street station was once again known simply as Parkdale. In 1977, efforts were made to preserve the building, but it was destroyed by vandals less than a year shy of its 100th anniversary. The station had the unique distinction of not only seeing off troops to fight in the 1885 Northwest Rebellion, but also recreating that event for the 1973 CBC Television series, The National Dream.: