Excerpt: Source: Toronto Sketches 4, “The Way We Were,” by Mike Filey, Dundurn Press Limited, 1995, pages 11-12. ISBN 1-55002-248-2. // This year  marks the 120th anniversary of the opening of what is today known far and wide as the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, though when the institution first opened on May 6, 1874, the sign over the door at its original Bathurst and King street location displayed the rather repulsive title, Toronto Home for Incurables. The ‘Home’ had been established to lessen the burden that long-term care patients, those with untreatable forms of consumption (TB), heart disease, and paralysis, were imposing on the city’s main hospital, the Toronto General, then located on Gerrard Street East just west of the Don. // As serious as this problem was, the lack of accommodation for the seriously afflicted who lacked the monetary means to seek what little medical treatment that was available then was another reason for the Home’s existence. Without it these unfortunates would continue to be incarcerated, virtually without hope, in the local House of Industry. // To help alleviate the situation, several community-minded citizens, led by Mayor Alexander Manning (Manning Avenue), banded together and established the first Home for Incurables in the early spring of 1894, moving the institution into larger premises on Dunn Avenue in suburban Parkdale five years later, and continued to expand several times over the next few years. // Then in 1941, the first of several name changes occurred; first to the Queen Elizabeth (in honour of the present Queen Mother) Hospital for Incurables; twenty years later it became, simply, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. In 1975 the Queen Elizabeth affiliated with the University of Toronto to become the first chronic care/teaching hospital in the country. // Over the next few years, as the population continued to age followed by increasing demands for chronic- and long-term care facilities, the hospital expanded dramatically. The former Mt. Sinai Hospital on University Avenue was acquired (a new Mt. Sinai opened further up the avenue) followed in 1979 by the development of a progressive new facility on the old Dunn Avenue site. // Since its opening more than 120 years ago, the Queen Elizabeth Hospital has grown and evolved into a 601-bed specialized chronic care and rehabilitation centre. Donations to help the hospital prepare for its next 120 years would be gratefully received by the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Foundation, 550 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 2A21.//As of 2014, now called the E.W. Bickle Centre for Complex Continuing Care, was finished in 1979.
Hospital image from google search of internet.